[squeak-dev] Re: what is holding back Smalltalk?

Paolo Bonzini bonzini at gnu.org
Fri Nov 21 16:28:46 UTC 2008

Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Paolo> And to be clear about this once for all, I completely agree with the
> Paolo> above assessment.  Squeak people do need to be careful, even a bit
> Paolo> paranoid if you want.  But implying that you cannot look at GNU
> Paolo> Smalltalk for fear that you'll glance at its code and be tainted by it,
> Paolo> goes way beyond paranoia.
>
> Get a legal document from the FSF lawyers that confirms that and holds us
> permanently harmless, and I'll shut up.  Until then, Squeak devs are at risk.

Answer 1: You do realize that it would amount to relicensing GNU
Smalltalk under MIT, don't you?

Answer 2: Eliot surely remembers a lot of the code for HPS or for the VW
compiler, and so does Vassili.  So, add to the list of methods that have
to be relicensed all code written by former employees of OTI, Cincom,
IBM, Instantiations, Gemstone, and I'll shut up.  Because until then,
Squeak devs are at risk.

Paolo