[squeak-dev] Re: what is holding back Smalltalk?

Antony Blakey antony.blakey at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 07:51:06 UTC 2008

On 22/11/2008, at 6:14 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> 2008/11/22 Antony Blakey <antony.blakey at gmail.com>:
>>
>> On 22/11/2008, at 2:41 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>>> As someone said: nobody pays a license fee to the architect who
>>> designed the building each time someone entering it.
>>
>> In fact, you pay an architect for a design each time you build it.
>> You can't
>> reuse an architect's design without paying for it, or negotiating a
>> license.
>> The fact that you live in a house designed by an architect gives
>> you no
>> rights to the design.
>>

> Right, you pay for design, but nobody pays the fee for entering his
> authentic house (read - get a copy).

No, not 'get a copy'. The appropriate equivalent is 'use the software'.

And in any case, there are buildings for which you are charged entry,
and sometimes purely on the basis of the architect. Falling Water
might be like that (although I think I read that it's no longer open
due to structural issues).

Anyway, this argument is off-topic for this list, so I'll leave it to
you to have the last word ... :)

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

75% of statistics are made up on the spot.