[squeak-dev] Re: what is holding back Smalltalk?

Paolo Bonzini bonzini at gnu.org
Sat Nov 22 09:16:08 UTC 2008

>> Not really, because I posted at least two implementations of Generators
>> in the public domain and people were still saying they were tainted by
>> gst's.
>
> Cool! I've been thinking about Generators myself. Can you point me to
> your implementations?

One is in GNU Smalltalk's examples/Gen3.st.  It is GPL but I am ok with
relicensing it to MIT.  It uses separate processes, so it is not very
exception friendly.

Anyway, the best one is for VW and is at

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.smalltalk/browse_thread/thread/5274ae013723329?ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&q=generators+smalltalk+bonzini&pli=1

Squeak does not have the Promise class (a ValueHolder that runs in a
separate process but forwards exceptions to the process who sent
#value), unfortunately, so it won't work there out-of-the-box.

Of course, you need to figure out what it does from the usage I make in
the Generator class.  Otherwise you'd be tainted by VW's source code and
Squeak would face being sued by Cincom for copyright violation.  Sorry,
couldn't help it.

Paolo