[squeak-dev] Re: Bug in 3.10.2 - browser / moving classes

Mr. Timothy C. Johnson tjohnson at iwu.edu
Mon Nov 24 14:42:50 UTC 2008

Jerome Peace wrote:

>>I had two browser windows open (standard 3.10.2 default browsers).
>
>?? Full browsers of Hierarchical browsers??

They were not Hierarchal browsers, AFAIK.  Just the standard browser
you get from World menu -> open... -> Class browser.

>The reason I ask is that there is a known problem with the later
> which will sometimes confuse the browser.
>I usually see it when creating a new class.
>You may have found a new way to bump into it.

Perhaps?

>>They were both open to the same class category.  In one browser, I
>>moved a number of methods out of that category into another one (via
>>drag-and-drop).  After moving about 5 or 6 methods, I got an error:
>>subscript out of bounds, in World.  I selected "proceed" and I looked
>>over at the other browser (the one in which I hadn't made any changes),
>>and its classes list pane had become an invalid rectangle (a red
>>rectangle with a yellow X inside).  Browsing to other categories in the
>>troubled browser does not restore the class category pane to operation.
>
>Invalid drawing panes "latch up".
>To fix them it is necessary to not only fix the underlying problem
> but to release the latch via:
>the red menu>debug>start drawing again.

Ah!  I didn't know that, thanks.

>For browsers it almost always easier to just start fresh.

Yes, that did work out well.

>> A new browser is fine.
>>
>>Using 3.10.2 on latest Mac PPC VM.
>

>If you are willing to put some effort into getting this tracked and
fixed,
>please add a report to mantis
> describing a way to from a fresh start reproduce the problem.
>Enough specifics to reliably reproduce the problem
> is a starting point for others to explore and play with it.
>
>Here are the FAQs:

[ ... ]

Thanks Jerome.  Mantis has always been mysterious to me.  I will see if
I can duplicate the problem and add a report.

- timj