[squeak-dev] stability of Web Frameworks?

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Mon Nov 24 19:10:29 UTC 2008

Friedrich wrote:
> Ok, in the follow line to Smalltalk and Web. I wonder what experiences
> there are with the stability of Web Framweworks from the viewpoint of
> a user of this Frameworks. Let's ask it the otherway.
>
> if I have some Seaside 2.3 and upgrade to 2.8 (somehow) will it break
> my old applications?
>
> The same of course for AidaWeb, how much work must I expect if a new
> version comes around.
>
> In the same line of question. How long are the versions maintained and
> are bugs still fixed or not?

Most Aida systems in production currently are 'image as database" based
and must therefore be carefully upgraded to new Aida versions, which is
usually done live, without shutting down. That's why we have quite few
years of experience migrating them without damaging or even loosing
production images. Stability of Aida web systems is therefore guaranteed.

Forthcoming release of Aida 6.0 will need a small migration of existing
classes, for which the necessary scripts are already prepared and also
tested on production systems. I namely update those systems with interim
development versions as well, to test enhancements in reality. So you
can expect a final release as already very stable one.

Short answer: following the migration notes you won't have problems
migrating from 5.6 to 6.0.

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek