How to do logging (was Re: [squeak-dev] Files documentation)

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 15:35:12 UTC 2008

Göran: Yesterday night we have a very good discussion about logging in IRC.
I was asking about Logging in order to add log to SqueakDBX. I think there
were some interesting questions:

1) Should a framework, like SqueakDBX, log? Or this is a responsibility of
the "user" of the framework ?

Here, I will say: I think framework must log because it helps the framework
team to find out bugs or give them information about it. I think this is
something good. Obviously the framework should only log things related to
the framework itself and not logic related with the user of it.

2) If so, should it be optional ?
I think i must.  I mean, user can enable or disable it.

3) Suppose I want very much performance, and the user disable logging. Which
is the best way of doing this?

4) No matter 1) to 3), framework's user can log. I mean, it can do something
like [xxxx] on: DBXError do:[ self log 'something' ]

In fact, I decided (actually I must discuss with the team) to use Logging
and SimpleLog in SqueakDBX.

Any opinion about this?