[squeak-dev] SystemEditor (was: Re: Instance variable access in superclasses)

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Wed Nov 26 16:02:58 UTC 2008

On 25-Nov-08, at 11:21 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Holy cow. If that actually works, it's impressive as hell. Given the
> complexity in ClassBuilder (all of which is the direct result of
> people actually using it and running into issues) it'll be no small
> feat to get this right in SystemEditor. I've spent a few years on
> it ;-)

It shows. ClassBuilder isn't actually that hard to understand. The
constraints are hairy, but the code is fairly straightforward and has
lots of comments.

In SystemEditor, those constraints are encapsulated in ClassFormat,
with unit tests. The tests probably aren't as complete as they could
be, but it gives us a place to document issues as they come up.

I'm looking forward to reenabling atomic commits in Monticello2. The
speed improvement there is even greater, because right now, MC2 takes
a speed hit from loading instance variables one at a time.

Colin