[squeak-dev] Kay's Little Blue Book, or, Let's Just Do It! (was Re: The Gospel of Alan)

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Wed Nov 26 20:01:34 UTC 2008

David Mitchell wrote:
> Smalltalk-the-artifact is certainly suitable for serious work. It's
> paid my bills a number of times and is still used quite seriously in
> industry.

Agreed. I was deliberately being pithy. :-) Perhaps I should have said
"simultaneously a great improvement on its successors and a flawed
system in need of serious revision."

(Plenty of seriously flawed systems get serious use. What intrigues me
is considering the reasons why Unix is vastly more popular than
Smalltalk -- they're broadly comparable. I think the answer is to do
with trust boundaries, shared state, and structured metaprogramming.
That's a handwave, of course :-) )

Tony