[squeak-dev] re: Squeak 4

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Wed Oct 1 00:14:55 UTC 2008

Hi Markus--

 > I'm sorry if I'm annoying ;-)

      Not at all! :)

 > > Every version of every module, author, class, and metaclass has a
 > > UUID. Methods are uniquely identified by a combination of a class or
 > > metaclass version and a selector. Names are never needed to transfer
 > > behavior between systems.
 >
 > This was something when I first - with my modes knowledge - tried to
 > do some bytecode serialization within squeak. I ended up in
 > serializing half of the image half of the times, trying to walk down
 > the dependencies between classes, behavious, constants and pool
 > dictionaries.

      I think the literal marker framework in Spoon keeps that from
happening (a way to refer to a method literal algorithmically, without
copying it).

 > Is there a methodology to identify identical behaviors/objects even if
 > identified by different UUIDs?

      Well, generally a UUID is used to refer to an object over time. To
refer to the object at a particular moment in time, other information is
added to the UUID (e.g., a version number). For example, an author ID
has a UUID and a version number, and a class ID has a UUID, an author
ID, and a version number.

 > Or is there a another approach like creating the "UUID'd ancestor"
 > which will provide the unique base and which will be 'patched' (for
 > the very base kernel) with commonly agreed/shared UUIDs?

      I'm not sure what you're saying there. :)

      thanks again,

-C