[squeak-dev] Building Squeak on (Open)Solaris

Boyd Adamson boyd-adamson at usa.net
Thu Oct 2 04:25:54 UTC 2008

"David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 10:57:09PM +1000, Boyd Adamson wrote:
>> Well, thanks to your help, I've made some progress. Turns out that the
>> files:
>>
>> platforms/unix/src/plugins.int
>> platforms/unix/src/plugins.ext
>>
>> have mac line endings (CR) out of the box, which causes the code in
>> mkconfig to populate int_plugins and ext_plugins with empty
>> strings. This was causing none of the plugins to be built.
>
> Aha. Well, actually those are Smalltalk line endings. The files you
> are looking at are generated by VMMaker, which is using a CrLfFileStream
> to write the files with what it hopes are the correct line terminators.
> It does this by using a CrLfFileStream to do the writing, which is supposed
> to be smart enough to convert the Smalltalk line terminators (CR) to
> whatever is most likely to make sense on Solaris (LF).
>
> Have a look at MultiByteFileStream class>>guessDefaultLineEndConvention
> and CrLfFileStream class>>guessDefaultLineEndConvention. These are supposed
> to figure out the right line end convention for your platform, and set
> the class variable #LineEndDefault accordingly (for Solaris it should be
> #lf, such that the files created by VMMaker will use unix line end conventions).
> If these are not setting #LineEndDefault to #cr, that would be the cause
> of (some of) your VM building errors, and the next step is to figure out
> why #guessDefaultLineEndConvention is broken on Solaris.

Except the catch is that I'm using the sources as they come from SVN (or
tarball, same problem) since I don't have a working Solaris VM.

There may be something I'm missing. I've never built a VM before and I'm
just following the instructions in:

platforms/unix/doc/HowToBuildFromSource.txt

Which basically just says "Run make or run configure; make; make
install"

Boyd