[squeak-dev] Re: WideString fromPacked: 'TEXT' asPacked - > DNU and Boum

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Thu Oct 2 12:34:43 UTC 2008

At Sat, 27 Sep 2008 08:30:22 +0200,
stephane ducasse wrote:

> Thanks Yoshiki
>
> It seems so easy when you say it :)
> I'm learning the hard way encodings :)
> I want to go over the OLPC changes (but I have to understand a bit
> more than the basis)
> But I'm learning something new so this is cool.
>
> So first question:
> 	can I freely put
> 	EncodedCharSers at: 0+1 put: Unicode?

  That probably wouldn't work.  I thought about a variation where the
first entries looks like:

EncodedCharSers at: 0+1 put: Latin1Environment.
EncodedCharSers at: 1+1 put: Unicode.

and unless you really need stick with 1 or 0.

> What the order in EncodedCharSets represents? Is it the way the
> encoding by default are looked up?

  The order doesn't matter.

> Do you mean that we could get rid of the leadChar too? :)

  Well, I wouldn't if you have other mechanism in place.

-- Yoshiki