[squeak-dev] Squeak VMs for Mac

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Oct 8 03:44:54 UTC 2008

Ok the ones I build from time to time based on the original source
code are carbon base, these have the golden icon, they follow the
naming pattern

Squeak 3.8.18beta4U.app

or
Squeak 3.x.xbetaxU.app

Historically all the VM's are beta, 3.x.x at one time followed the
image when the image did contain the source code, but for many years
this is no-longer the case and
3.8.x  is the most current version.

betax,  beta1, beta2, beta3 usually indicates a minor fix,
3.8.17, 3,8,18  usually indicates a major change of some sort.
The U  is for universal.

You can find more current ones at ftp://ftp.smalltalkconsulting.com/
even more older ones at http://homepage.mac.com/johnmci/FileSharing.html
Most macintosh VM can also be found at ftp://ftp.squeak.org/

The headless option is fairly new (couple of years old) to the carbon
vm.

  The other VM source is based on the unix source tree and has a blue
icon. Those can be found at

http://squeakvm.org/unix/