[squeak-dev] Configuring a SqueakSource repository?

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 04:51:11 UTC 2008

2008/10/9, James Foster <Smalltalk at jgfoster.net>:
> Hi Philippe,
>
> On Oct 6, 2008, at 10:12 PM, Philippe Marschall wrote:
>
>> 2008/10/7 James Foster <Smalltalk at jgfoster.net>:
>>> I see some recent activity at http://www.squeaksource.com/ss.html
>>> and would
>>> like to know what Squeak/Seaside is needed to get this to load so I
>>> can port
>>> it to GemStone.
>>
>> This version of SqueakSource has been ported to GemStone by Dale and
>> is running at: http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss
>> This runs quite an old version of Seaside (2.5 IIRC) and Squeak
>> (somewhere in 3.6 to 3.8)
>
> Right, and that is why Dale and I agreed that we'd try to move to
> something more recent.
>
>> There is also a new version that runs under Seaside 2.8, Magritte and
>> Squeak 3.9:
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/ss2.html
>> ported at:
>> http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/ss2.html
>
> Unfortunately, that port has a number of problems and I'm trying to
> clean it up. One step in that process is to see it working in Squeak.
> Based on your information above, I've done the following:
>
> I've obtained Squeak 3.9 from http://ftp.squeak.org/3.9/mac/
> I've loaded Magriette using the SqueakMap Package Loader and this
> loaded the following:
> - Magritte-Model-lr.220
> - Magritte-Morph-lr.32
> - Magritte-Seaside-lr.185
> - Magritte-Tests-lr.94
> - Seaside 2.6b1-lr.50
>
> I assume that this is all rather out-of-date (which is why I asked the
> initial question of what is needed).
>
> So, I loaded Magritte-All-lr-278 from http://mc.lukas-renggli.ch/magritte
>   and
> Seaside2.8a1-pmm.577 from http://squeaksource.com
>
> This resulted in errors, so I'll start over.
>
> I obtained Squeak 3.9 from http://ftp.squeak.org/3.9/mac/
> I loaded Seaside2.8a1-pmm.577 from http://www.squeaksource.com/Seaside
> I loaded Magritte-All-lr-278 from http://mc.lukas-renggli.ch/magritte
> I loaded Magritte-Seaside-kph.281 from http://mc.lukas-renggli.ch/magritte
> I loaded SqueakSource-pmm.1074 from http://www.squeaksource.com/ss2
> This reports that it needs TWWiki.
> Trying to load TiniWiki gives an error.
>

> So I'll ask again, what specific versions of Squeak, Seaside,
> Magritte, etc. are needed to load the latest ss2 into Squeak?

It was built with what was recent at that time. I don't know whether newer versions are compatible or not. If the only problem you have is that TiniWiki is missing try to load it from Universes, under the category "Group Development" you'll find it. That should load also all the other dependencies. The direct dependencies listed there are:

	Seaside
	Announcements
	RSRSS2
	Magritte-Tests