[squeak-dev] re: About classVariables

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Mon Oct 13 18:25:59 UTC 2008

Hi Paolo--

 > > I'd say that's a bug (as is Behavior>>classVarNames answering an
 > > empty Set),
 >
 > Why? (#allClassVarNames is a different story).
 >
 > > because the class variables for (TheRoot class) should be
 > > those defined by Metaclass, if we're going to be consistent...

      You just quoted my answer, so I don't see why you're asking again.

 > ...class variables are explicitly defined to apply both on the
 > instance and on the class side.  So the class pool should be the same,
 > without any #theClass.

      The class pool for an instance of Metaclass should be the class
pool defined by Metaclass. So, for example, the class pool for (Array
class) should be the class pool defined by Metaclass. This is different
than the class pool for Array or an instance of Array, which is the
class pool defined by Array.

      Again, until someone cites a reason why this is of practical
significance, I don't think it's a very interesting issue.

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist