[squeak-dev] the NewCompiler and complex numbers

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 08:43:34 UTC 2008

Hi,

this is puzzling: in a 3.9 image, using the "old" compiler, evaluating
"6 + 6 i" and "6 - 6 i" works fine. Enabling the new compiler, "6 + 6
i" still works, but "6 - 6 i" does not because the compiler converts
it to something nonsensical:

     pushConstant: 6
     pushLit: i
     send: -

What the heck?

So why would the compiler, all of a sudden, think that i is not a
message selector when it appears after some -?

If this has already been reported, I apologise for creating noise. In
any case, I'd be happy if someone could give me a hint on how to fix
this. BTW it's NewCompiler 174 from SqueakMap.

Best,

Michael