[squeak-dev] UTF8 - squeak

Katerina Barone-Adesi katerinab at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 06:48:46 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 4:09 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck
<marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:
> Casimiro: Many thanks for the help. Ï did all you said I now I get "a?" "e?"
> "u?" and so on instead of "´a" "´e"....however, I didn't get "á", "é" and
> "ú". Any ideas? Ahh which would be the correct value for LC_CTYPE for
> english?  "pt_EN" ???

I use en_US.UTF-8
The format is (two letter language code)_(two letter country
code).(encoding), so pt_EN isn't valid; EN isn't the country code of a
Portuguese-speaking country (I'm oversimplifying slightly).

> Katerina: I test the etoys image you said with the normal vm (not etoys vm)
> and there they work perfect the keys! What could be the difference?

They've done a fair amount of work to get various input methods
working; I can't easily point you to specific changes they've made in
the code, but there are some.

> The
> problem is I would like to use Demian image, not etoys. So, the only thing I
> could do is the link you told me about the
> russian support ?

It's probably not the only thing, but it's probably the easiest thing,
unfortunately.

Tell me your keymap/input method, and I'll come up with a minimal set
of steps for Spanish/Portuguese support and update the wiki this
evening.  You shouldn't need to bother with freetype, and definitely
don't need to bother with cyrillic fonts.

Kat