[squeak-dev] iPhone 1.07

Damien Pollet damien.pollet at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 15:10:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 12:28 AM, John M McIntosh
<johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:
> Squeakx.image sends an open document request to the VM which then looks at
> the *.image and invokes some applescript to
> launch a copy of the VM with the *.image.
>
> This logic was developed a few years back to solve the problem of
> double-clicking
> on the a image file and it would open file browser in the running
> squeak.image which wasn't exactly what a person wanted.

Well ideally(*), from a Mac point of view, the Squeak.app application
would be a front-end to the command-line VM. From the user point of
view, this application could open multiple images, just like TextEdit
can open multiple files at once. Behind the scenes it would run
standard command-line VMs in separate processes, each from their image
directory etc.

(*) I'm sure this is a bit technically naive :)

Either that or the images should look like individual applications to
MacOS, simply using squeak as their interpreter. Maybe by bundling
image + changes + a small script in a .app, like the one-click images
but in a lightweight way ?

--
Damien Pollet