[squeak-dev] The state of Squeak I18n support: let's improve it

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Thu Sep 4 18:45:28 UTC 2008

At Thu, 4 Sep 2008 00:36:35 +0200,
Katerina Barone-Adesi wrote:

> - Deadkeys don't work.
> - Anthy + SKIM didn't work.
> - typing kana by using a Japanese keymap shows up as '?', even when
> etoys is showing up properly in Japanese.

  We have an extra option to the VM (we couldn't really clean the code
paths to eliminate it):  if you specify -compositioninput to the
display-X11 module, you should be able to input Japanese text from
SCIM.

> - Missing fonts and broken 'choose language' support:
> --typing Arabic only shows '?', and selecting Arabic as a language
> doesn't change that; nothing seems to happen.

> --selecting 'Persian' translates the user interface into a series of
> '?', with a tiny bit of English for the strings that aren't
> translated; the necessary font is missing, and there is no prompt to
> add it.  This also applies to Singhalese and Urdu.  Turkish has a much
> more minor version of this problem - most letters are there, but a few
> are missing.
> --typing Greek only shows '?'.  Selecting Greek as a language says
> "This language needs additional fonts.  Do you want to install the
> fonts? Yes / No".  Selecting 'yes' brings up a debugger, because the
> .sar file for Greek fonts is missing.  This also applies to Russian,
> Chinese, and Romanian.

  In the very latest image (you need to fetch updates), and the Pango
library is installed, you should see better than ? marks.

> -- Selecting Korean as a language brings up a debugger: "Error: My
> subclass should have overridden #leadingChar".

  Ah, that should be fixed.

  Thank you!

-- Yoshiki