[squeak-dev] Possible approaches for rendering in Morphic 3

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 20:08:38 UTC 2008

2008/9/4 Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org>:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I've added this to my web: http://www.jvuletich.org/RenderingApproaches.html
> . It is about the different approaches for rendering of morphs for Morphic
> 3. This is the problem I'm dealing with now, so I'd appreciate any ideas or
> pointers.

This two approaches having same pros and cons as shading vs ray
tracing. Shading technique using filled triangles to draw graphics,
and similarily can override pixels multiple times. With ray tracing
each pixel color computed separately which enables to draw images of
high photorealistic quality. The issue is same - speed.
I don't think that per-pixel rendering is the way to go, because most
of hardware is not ready yet.
In 10 years situation will change, and we will have enough computing
power in our desktop computers to do that, but not now.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.