[squeak-dev] Using V8 for other languages

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Fri Sep 5 16:49:34 UTC 2008

On 5-Sep-08, at 1:38 PM, Stephen Pair wrote:

> What is the point of Objective-J?  I looked into it a while back and
> didn't get it.  The only advantage I could imagine was being able to
> take some Objective-C code and readily port it to Objective-J.  And
> perhaps the familiarity of the syntax to people that already know
> Objective-C is worth something.  But, in most respects, Objective-C
> is inferior to Javascript as far as I can tell (for example
> Objective-C lacks closures).

I've never used Objective-J, so I don't know for sure, but one thing
that I find attractive is that it introduces message sends. It's easy
to forget, but object.doSomething() is *not* a message, it's a
property access and function call. This causes real problems - see for
example, all the advice against modifying the Object prototype,
because it renders the for...in construct useless. If Objective-J
solves that problem, it's valuable.

Colin