[squeak-dev] Possible approaches for rendering in Morphic 3

Joshua Gargus schwa at fastmail.us
Sat Sep 6 22:29:00 UTC 2008

Igor Stasenko wrote:
> 2008/9/4 Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org>:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I've added this to my web: http://www.jvuletich.org/RenderingApproaches.html
>> . It is about the different approaches for rendering of morphs for Morphic
>> 3. This is the problem I'm dealing with now, so I'd appreciate any ideas or
>> pointers.
>>

> This two approaches having same pros and cons as shading vs ray
> tracing. Shading technique using filled triangles to draw graphics,
> and similarily can override pixels multiple times. With ray tracing
> each pixel color computed separately which enables to draw images of
> high photorealistic quality. The issue is same - speed.

A small (at least in the context of this thread) nitpick: it's not the
per-pixel color computation that allows ray-tracing to produce
high-quality images.  These days, graphics hardware also allows
"arbitrary" code to be run to compute the color of each pixel.  The main
reason that ray-tracing looks better for some scenes is the ability to
easily incorporate multiple reflections/refractions into the per-pixel
color computation.

Cheers,
Josh