[squeak-dev] Float plugin

Ang Beepeng beepeng86 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 9 16:13:57 UTC 2008

I have wrote a named primitive that returns float, as follows,

1 primsIdentityOfFloat":aFloat"
2 	"primitive returning a floating point"
3
4	|aFloat|
5	self export: true.
6	self inline: false.
7
8	self returnTypeC: 'float'.
9	aFloat := interpreterProxy stackFloatValue: 0.
10	self var: aFloat type:' float '.
11	interpreterProxy pop:2.
12	interpreterProxy push: (interpreterProxy floatObjectOf: aFloat).

The primitive returns correct answer, but only until fourth or fifth decimal
points. For example, if the answer is "4.88888", primitive returns
"4.888880014419556". I added several steps, line 8 , 10 & 12, trying to
return or declare the correct data type or object both in C and also in
Smalltalk. But I still do not get the correct answer.
What can be corrected for higher precision answer? Thanks.

Ang Beepeng