[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] September 2008 versions

Damien Cassou damien.cassou at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 17:51:45 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:
> Damien Cassou wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Adrian Lienhard <adi at netstyle.ch> wrote:
>>> On Sep 10, 2008, at 10:30 , Damien Cassou wrote:
>> I already reported some problems to Juan. He didn't want to fix one of
>> them: the problem with the Tools flap displaying unreadable captions.
>> If you could provide a package which works well, I would certainly
>> include it.
> Damien, I don't think it is fair to say that the problem in the Tools flap
> means NiceFonts is buggy.

Hi Juan,

you are right, it was not fair. I know that Squeak has different
problems and you did your best to make NiceFonts "just work". I
apologize. However, there is still a problem with the tools flap and
users complain. There is also a problem with composite window managers
on Linux which prevent Squeak from being used on such systems and it
seems to be related to the installation of NiceFonts (I haven't
checked that).

> [...]
> Also, I don't think it is fair to complain of me not wanting to fix it. I'm
> not the maintainer of Flaps! The bug is there! If there is no maintainer of
> Flaps, or nobody wants to fix it, just use a 1bpp StrikeFont or perhaps a
> TTFont for #standardEToysFont (see options 1 and 2 in quoted text).
> BTW, keep in mind that NiceFonts does not preclude the use of either 1bpp
> StrikeFonts, TTFonts, or any other font that might be present in the image.

I don't understand anything about these problems and solutions.
Someone else has to do it :-(.

> WRT performance issues, please send me a comparison with actual numbers.
> Rendering 32bpp StrikeFonts should take exactly the same time as rendering
> TTFonts (the code is almost identical).

I will if I manage to reproduce it but I'm not sure it was due to
NiceFonts after all.

> At last, let me state that I will do my best to fix any bugs found in
> NiceFonts, as I'm already doing. I use it all day long in my image, and it
> is part of at leas one commercial product now.

Ok, thank you very much. I really apologize.

--
Damien Cassou
Peter von der Ahé: «I'm beginning to see why Gilad wished us good