[squeak-dev] Re: Troubleshooting and/or recovering from VM hang?

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 15 02:26:26 UTC 2008

[squeak-dev] Troubleshooting and/or recovering from VM hang?

Hi Phil,

Some things you need to know.
1) The changes file will have much of your lost data.
2) PasteUpMorph>>addedOrRemovedSubmorph: can not be understood
because the method was depricated (replaced by #privateInvalidateMorph:)
at the beginning of 3.9.  And apparently removed at some later point.

The deprecated and removed method was specifically:

Morph>>addedOrRemovedSubmorph: aMorph
	self deprecated:'Use #privateInvalidateMorph: instead'.
	^self privateInvalidateMorph: aMorph "which is the equvivalent here"

You have  either some old code or some branch code mixed in with 3.10.2.

Next steps:
Describe exactly how to recreate the problem from a fresh 3.10.2 image
(what did you load/change etc)
The tail of changes files will help remind you.
I find it helpful to search down to the name of my disk drive (which is somewhat unique).
That demarks where the system stuff ends and my own modifications begin.

Troubleshooting:
Look for packages you loaded that were meant for 3.8 or earlier.
Look in the image for senders of the offending message #addedOrRemovedSubmorph:

The vm is probably doing what it ought but everytime the image tries to raise a debug window
it is probably running into the DNU which causes an infinite debug loop.

That debug malbehavior is high on my desirable targets list for bug repair.
It hasn't been tackled yet because I have no idea where to look.
Maybe, if we get lucky, someone with more experience will drop a clue.

hth,

yours in service and curiosity, --Jerome Peace

***
>Phil pbpublist at gmail.com
>Sat Sep 13 21:52:27 UTC 2008
>

>My VM appears to be hung while attempting to opening a Morphic project
>file and after several minutes of 100% utilization on a single core, the
>CPU usage has dropped back to 0%, the VM/image is unresponsive (VM
>screen is frozen, cmd-. has no effect) and the attached log file was
>written.  Just curious if there's anything I can do at this point to
>recover, if there's any data I should be capturing and passing along to
>someone that would be helpful, or if I just need to restart the VM?
>
>Thanks,
>Phil

>MessageNotUnderstood: PasteUpMorph>>addedOrRemovedSubmorph:
>13 September 2008 5:42:14 pm
***

VM: Mac OS - a SmalltalkImage
Image: Squeak3.10.2 [latest update: #7179]