[squeak-dev] [ANN] SqueakSVN

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 16:57:01 UTC 2008

Yesterday I watched Linus Torvalds talk on
G<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8> IT
at Google.  Once you get past his obnoxious public persona there is meat
here, and its well worth the 1 hour 10 minutes holding one's nose.  I think
he's right on distributed version control and so would like to see
Monticello GIT integration.  One of GIT's features that I think will be most
synergistic with Smalltalk is that it is content addressable.  That is, GIT
can track the history of a function even if it moves from one file to
another.
The system isn't a file tracker, it is a content tracker (in fact, a content
addressible file system).  This removes lots of issues in the mapping of
Smalltalk methods to whatever the SCM system manages.  In GIT there would be
no problem mapping a class to a file.  One could still track the history of
a method within it with ease and GIT would still transmit only deltas, not
the entire file, when a part of the method changed.