[squeak-dev] [ANN] SqueakSVN

Avi Bryant avi at dabbledb.com
Tue Sep 16 18:55:52 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 9:57 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yesterday I watched Linus Torvalds talk on G IT at Google.  Once you get
> past his obnoxious public persona there is meat here, and its well worth the
> 1 hour 10 minutes holding one's nose.  I think he's right on distributed
> version control and so would like to see Monticello GIT integration.  One of
> GIT's features that I think will be most synergistic with Smalltalk is that
> it is content addressable.  That is, GIT can track the history of a function
> even if it moves from one file to another.
> The system isn't a file tracker, it is a content tracker (in fact, a content
> addressible file system).  This removes lots of issues in the mapping of
> Smalltalk methods to whatever the SCM system manages.  In GIT there would be
> no problem mapping a class to a file.  One could still track the history of
> a method within it with ease and GIT would still transmit only deltas, not
> the entire file, when a part of the method changed.

Yes, see my posts here:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-June/129602.html
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-June/129605.html

Git is modular enough that one could pretty easily, I think, replace
its directory-of-files <=> content-tree mapping with a smalltalk-image
<=> content-tree mapping and leave the majority of the system intact.

Avi