[squeak-dev] Building HydraVM from SVN (on Windows)

Joshua Gargus schwa at fastmail.us
Wed Sep 17 00:54:21 UTC 2008

Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 10:49:59AM -0700, Joshua Gargus wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I checked out Hydra from SVN, and tried to build it with the normal
>> Win32 toolchain.  When I cd into winbuild/ and type "make", I get the
>> following error:
>>
>> Makefile:42 src/plugins.ext: No such file or directory
>> Makefile:43 src/plugins.int: No such file or directory
>> make: *** No rule to make target 'src/plugins.int'.  Stop.
>>
>> I don't have a src/ directory at all, so I guess that I'm supposed to
>> use VMMaker to generate the sources.  I assume that I first have to
>> modify VMMaker by applying Win32VMMaker.st, but to which VMMaker?  Which
>> image should I start with (Croquet, Squeak-3.10, etc.)?  Which
>> repository should I pull VMMaker from?
>>

> VMMaker is here:
>
> http://jabberwocky.croquetproject.org:8889/HydraVM

That's funny, Igor answered the same question on the VM-dev mailing
list, and pointed me at :
http://squeaksource.com/HydraVM

Looks like the VMMaker package is currently fresher on SqueakSource, and
the HydraVM package is fresher on jabberwocky.  I think Igor is having
some fun with us!  :-)
> I've heard it is supposed to work in any image, but I used a
> Croquet image just to be safe.

Probably.

> The instructions are in the availibility section of this page:
>
> http://squeakvm.org/~sig/hydravm/devnotes.html

There are inaccuracies on that page.  For example, the SVN sources are at:
http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/HydraVM/
(not http://.../Qwaq)

I learned a couple of other things from Igor on VM-dev:

1. ignore the Win32VMMaker.st file in SVN.  Just use the Monticello
(from whichever of the repositories is freshest, I guess ;-)  )
2. after each time you update from SVN, and before you build, delete the
file sqOldSoundPrims.c

Thanks for the help,
Josh