[squeak-dev] Re: Image normalization

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Sep 18 10:25:20 UTC 2008

Am 18.09.2008 um 11:54 schrieb Paolo Bonzini:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, that should be true for casual usage but not for
>>> development.  The subclasses instance variable of Behavior is an
>>> Array... I guess I don't need to explain further...
>>

>> Sure - I'm thinking of app deployment with a read-only image.
>
> Ah, okay, I was thinking of app development since we're talking about
> VCS here.

But even with the subclasses instance variable of Behavior - that
Array is newly allocated when you change something, so I'd expect it
to be and remain near the end of the memory. The layout in the lower
parts of the object memory would only change if an object is garbage
collected there. Which should rarely happen even during development.

- Bert -