[squeak-dev] Making morphs scriptable

Karl Ramberg karlramberg at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 08:59:31 UTC 2008

Robert Hawley wrote:
> There is an eToys scriptable DiceMorph and an eToys scriptable CalculatorMorph on SqueakMap. I'd welcome comments or bug reports.
>
> The calculator can be driven entirely from scripts, which makes it quite fun and potentially interesting for schools.
>
> The DiceMorph is a reasonably simple example of how to make a morph scriptable.
>
> I am surprised there aren't more eToys scriptable morphic objects available. Is there a coherent repository that I have yet to discover?

Hi,

One way to see this issue is that you could build these widgets out of
etoys instead of handing out "black box magic objects".
That is because it is a learning project more than a production system.
But some objects are too complex and the etoys system is not general and
fast enough to build usable objects.
So it is a balancing act between what is useful and what is it that you
want to achieve.
The general way of sharing etoys objects is with projects with included
change set. And in theory document them so they are reproducible and
give a little info of the issue at hand :-)

I made a page where I published some projects I made at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoy_Project_sampler.
Feel free to use that page to publish stuff.

Karl