[squeak-dev] Re: Advice from Plugin gurus

Gerardo Richarte gera at corest.com
Tue Sep 23 12:32:29 UTC 2008

Andreas Raab wrote:
> As you can see, doing this kind of munging with existing structures is
> a pain. I would recommend you do what Eliot suggested - alloca() a
> copy of the array and operate on that.
I had not noticed something: I need also to get the results, as the
answers (may be many) from this function are stored in the same array
(where space is already allocated).

When doing the alloca I will need to copy things from the tempArray to
anArray, or in the worst case, create a new array where I store the
answers, but I guess that then, if I create a new array, we are back to
the original place, where I have a Smalltalk array and I want to store
native things on it (after convertion)... So I think I'll have to use
something like an ExternalBuffer all the way from Smalltalk and back?

    thanks,
    richie