[squeak-dev] Building Squeak on (Open)Solaris

Claus Kick claus_kick at web.de
Tue Sep 30 17:28:39 UTC 2008

Boyd Adamson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build a recent VM on OpenSolaris (the Solaris Express
> distribution) on x86 but I have the same problem on recent Solaris 10.
>
> It looks to me like the build is not making any of the plugins, causing
> the link phase to fail.
>
> It feels like I'm missing some obvious switch or env var that's breaking
> the build.
>
> Does anyone have any clues?

We had some trouble with compiling lots of software (openLDAP, several
perl modules, imageMagick) for Solaris 10 - reason for it was Suns ld:

checking for ld used by gcc... /usr/ccs/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/ccs/bin/ld) is GNU ld... no
checking for /usr/ccs/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r

So, I would suggest trying GNU ld:

mv /usr/ccs/bin/ld /usr/ccs/bin/ld_Solaris

install GNU ld

ln -s <gnuld_binary> /usr/ccs/bin/ld

and then try again.

If it does not work, just undo the mv and ln and your system is as before.