[squeak-dev] Re: [Question] How do I use the OmniBrowser?

nicolas cellier ncellier at ifrance.com
Tue Sep 30 19:32:16 UTC 2008

David Röthlisberger a écrit :

>> Ditto.  #br is a horrible selector, we're not suffering from a
>> shortage of
>> vowels, #br stands for break, the selector should be #break just as "a"
>> means anchor.
>
> yeah, but there's no #a method implemented in Object that has a
> particular meaning as #break has, right?
>
> David

That's the price to pay for having an intrusive browser....
Browser assumptions about the semantics of #break #halt or any other
messages cannot be more than speculation...
...Speculation that we all agreed on some conventions that certainly are
not part of Smalltalk.

Apart
- adhering these conventions (but we should not take this decision for
the sole reason of conforming to a tool, why let a Browser be that
tyrannic?),
- let the browser inferring receiver type (after all, most usages are
probably self break, so that might be a hint),
- or using a statically typed language (oh no!),
the last alternative I see is to add yet another Preference...

... or maybe make the tools more general? Like:
- let user peek some lint rules (eventually by package or class)
- process these rules and mark all methods using a questionable
   message/pattern
   (using a Wrapper, like a QuestionableCompiledMethod,
   or adding yet another CompiledMethod attribute).
- let the browser lazily highlight such marked methods,
- and in a greater effort let it explain which part of code is
   questionable and why (require using more details....)
- let the user provide hints for immunizing some known_to_be_ok methods
   against pedantic warnings (using annotations or method attributes?)
   Beware, such hint should survive code externalization...

It sounds like I already eared about such features or project...
Where was it?

Nicolas