[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak 4

Markus Fritsche fritsche.markus at gmx.net
Tue Sep 30 21:28:58 UTC 2008

Adrian Lienhard schrieb:

> Just a few clarifications...

Merci!

> Pharo is a fork of Squeak, and its getting more and more independent.
> That is, its not "a thread *within* Squeak".

This will mean, judging by mission statement, that Pharo most probably
will develop into a direction where there will be a filein for Pharo and
a filein for squeak, right?

Otoh, Pharo is (for now) concentrated on the smalltalk side, right? So
Pharo and Squeak will share the same VM since Pharo is not targetted at
the VM/ primitives development?

I see that the Pharo-One-Click-Experience (those get popular lately,
don't they?) does use the icon of the seaside-one-click-vm.

How does "Flow" fit into this? For my understanding, Naiad is
'Flow-based', that means, a whole new primitive-based approach for
networking/ streaming.

How will this influence the development between Pharo/ Squeak 4?

> Pharo is based on Squeak 3.9, not 3.10.

Thx

> We don't re-implement the kernel, at least not for now. The current
> focus is on cleaning up and removing stuff we are not interested in
> (like toys), and providing a stable basis for professional use.

Well, I mixed "kernel" and "image" here I think.

Thank you for your clarification.

Either way, there will be a transformation from
"change-file-loading-emergency-valuator" to "install-to-your-needs", I'm
sure.

It is good to see the active community and have the certainty that
skilled people will take part in both approaches, providing the lessons
learned from the one "base" to the other.