[squeak-dev] Re: Recover image from core dump?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Apr 1 23:12:44 UTC 2009

David Farber wrote:
> I've got 2G of memory on my physical machine.  The core dump is just
> under 200M (from a ~40M image).  Will I need to start Squeak with extra
> memory?  How do I determine the correct start/end address?  And it looks
> like the bits of the original process is split into a whole bunch of
> chunks in the core dump.  Will the interpreter simulator be able to
> handle that?

I don't think it will and I can't tell you how to figure out the base
address of the image either. But I do think that if you can figure this
out you can stitch together a virtual image file that you read into the
interpreter and have the interpreter doing any magic that you need,
including extracting your data or conceivably writing out a new image
file. I've never done any of it myself but I think this is your best
option here if you really need the data as desperately.

Cheers,
   - Andreas