[squeak-dev] Squeak soundless on Ubuntu. Who will fix it?

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 11 19:47:39 UTC 2009

--- On Sat, 4/11/09, Ties Stuij <cjstuij at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Ties Stuij <cjstuij at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak soundless on Ubuntu. Who will fix it?
> To: peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com, "The general-purpose Squeak developers list" <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
> Date: Saturday, April 11, 2009, 3:47 AM
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Jerome Peace
> <peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Chris,
> >
> > That sounds like the problem.
> >
> > So is there someone in the community willing to take
> responsibility for getting this fixed in the distribution?
> Please?
>
> Note btw that this issue goes away in Ubuntu releases after
> 8.04 I believe.
>
> /Ties

I am using Ubuntu 8.04, sound does not work in squeak does work in etoys.
Unless someone says they know first hand otherwise, we have to accept that this is our problem not Ubuntu's.

I am a bug repairer and developer. It is important to me that this blocking level problem be fix not only for me but for everyone who installs the squeak distribution on Ubuntu. Ubuntu is the most widely distributed Linux. It represents a chance to reach many in the free software community. The ones most capable of aiding the squeak community in the long run. It should not be stuck with a crippled distribution.

The problem is solved for etoys so their should be a way to apply that cure to squeak.

So I am asking again. Is there someone willing to take responsibility for solving this problem for the squeak org distibution?
Bert has offered his expertise and  support.
So will someone come forward and take the primary role? Please?