[squeak-dev] Is anyone maintaining a VM for Linux on the ARM architecture?

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 22:34:19 UTC 2009

On 4/12/09, Phil (list) <pbpublist at gmail.com> wrote:
> This week I was looking around at the 'state of the art' in low power
> and mobile linux options and was pretty impressed with some of the
> things being done on the ARM architecture and was just curious if
> anyone out there is maintaining a VM for this platform running on
> Linux?  If there aren't, has anyone put together any sort of porting
> notes documentation that might point out things to keep in mind when
> porting?  Just curious re: what I'm getting myself into when
> considering this...

Ironically, I'm trying to compile the VM for a Jornada 820 running a
Linux 2.4 kernel.

My current problem is that the VM doesn't work if you compile it
without any plugins at all. I only have 16MB of RAM to play with on
this device. It only starts up with a blank screen on my main x86
machine. Any ideas?

Previously I've run Squeak under Windows CE on the same device, and
even succesfully written code using it. It's slow and I needed to make
a custom MVC image.

Gulik.

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/