[squeak-dev] Re: [Vm-dev] hampering the desire of the VM and image to visit every object at startup time (multiple times)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Apr 14 08:58:15 UTC 2009

On 14.04.2009, at 07:26, John M McIntosh wrote:

> I created a pharo entry to track the problem the VM & image has in
> wanting to visit every smalltalk object multiple times at startup
> time.
> Athought this behavior is masked by Gigaherz processors, it's very
> evident as a problem on the iPhone. Fixing it results in reducing
> MB of RAM memory usage and saves actual "seconds* of clock time at
> startup.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=737&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Summary%20Milestone&start=200

Very nice. We experimented in that direction for OLPC which also is
comparatively slow CPU wise, and even slower loading the whole image
from the flash disk (which involves decompressing). Mmapping only the
pages needed should give a considerable boost.

Do we have evidence that an mmap base address of 500 MB works across
platforms?

- Bert -