[squeak-dev] Cuis update

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Tue Apr 14 12:48:34 UTC 2009

Hi Folks,

I've updated Cuis to #0182. I included a couple of fixes to issues in
Polygons and Curves found by Jerome, and a new keyboard focus indicator.
(No more annoying flashing!)

You can download www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis1.0-0182.zip . In that
folder there is also a zip with change sets that could be useful for
other Squeak distributions, and text descriptions of them.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Ps: I also updated the 'About' text as follows:

About Cuis

Cuis is a Smalltalk environment derived from Squeak (www.squeak.org).
Main project web is at www.jvuletich.org/Cuis

The main idea behind Cuis is to avoid unneeded complexity. Why? Because
complexity puts a limit to the level of understanding of the system a
person might reach, and therefore limits the things that can be done.
Dan Ingalls says all this in "Design Principles Behind Smalltalk" (a
must read!).

My passion is about finding the essence of ideas. In this regard I feel
close to Alan's "Fundamentals of new Computing" ideas. But as I'm not a
researcher, and I want a working system now, I am trying to distill the
essence of Smalltalk-80 in Squeak drop by drop.

Some of the main ideas and objectives for Cuis are:

- Close to Smalltalk-80 and Dan Ingalls' ideas
- Include only kernel functionality. Remove stuff considered optional
- Included stuff should be in very good shape.
- Include a greatly reduced version of Morphic as the main UI
- Easy to fix and extend
- Share fixes and enhancements with Squeak
- Stable. Smalltalk kernel should not change much
- Compatible to a reasonable degree with packages intended for other
Squeak distributions
- Lead by Juan Vuletich (jmv) after these principles

What is the audience? Cuis should be the Smalltalk of choice to:

- Smalltalkers who want a simpler system
- Teachers teaching Smalltalk
- People learning Smalltalk
- Developers working for devices with little memory or CPU power
- People wanting to experiment with new directions in language design,
UI frameworks, etc
- People wanting a reasonable kernel on which to build optional packages
- People wanting a nice looking ide that is also portable

Cuis owes its existence to Squeak and the Squeak community. We don't
want to form a separate user community. We believe that the Squeak
community is the natural place for people using the various Squeak
distributions and derivatives. We want to share code and ideas with
other Squeak distributions, including the official one.

License

Cuis is distributed subject to the MIT License, as in
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php . Any contribution
submitted for incorporation into or for distribution with Cuis shall be
presumed subject to the same license.

Portions of Cuis are copyrighted works of many contributors to Squeak,
Cuis and related projects.