[squeak-dev] Cuis update

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 23:57:29 UTC 2009

On 4/15/09, Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I've updated Cuis to #0182. I included a couple of fixes to issues in
> Polygons and Curves found by Jerome, and a new keyboard focus indicator.
> (No more annoying flashing!)
>
> You can download www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis1.0-0182.zip . In that
> folder there is also a zip with change sets that could be useful for
> other Squeak distributions, and text descriptions of them.

Nice! It's a pretty fast system, and very similar to Squeak. I might
adopt it as I don't particularly like the lagginess in my current
Squeak environment.

My comments:

* Yech! A baby-blue background! Why do Squeakers always use feminine,
baby-like colours such as pink debuggers and bright green backgrounds?
Why not a strong masculine dark-blue background?

* BlockContext>>grabProcessor: relies on the implementation of the
scheduler. This image would break on a hypothetical multi-core VM. I'd
discourage it's implementation and use.

* Have you fixed some Semaphore related bugs? I see tests but I
haven't spent time trying to understand them.

* I like the fonts :-). And the seriously simplified menus. Not that I
actually ever use them for anything more than opening a browser and
workspace... and setting the background to dark blue.

* Did you clean out a lot of methods from Object? It seems... tidier.

* Yay! Keyboard navigation!

I like it! It's got all the bits of Squeak I normally use, but with a
lot less baggage. My main concern is how easily Monticello can be
loaded into it.

Gulik.

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/