[squeak-dev] Cuis update

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Wed Apr 15 01:44:25 UTC 2009

Hi Bernhard,

Bernhard Pieber wrote:
> Hi Juan,
>
> Cuis looks really great! Thanks for sharing this! What I like
> especially are the great looking fonts, the small size and the
> performance. You seem to put an emphasis on high quality. I really,
> really like that. Having said this: I saw that you have only 18 SUnit
> tests - one (testGrabProcessorOnlyForTimeout) fails on Mac OS X, by
> the way. Are you planning to do more? What is your goal regarding test
> coverage? Please say 100%! ;-)

Thanks! I'm glad you like it. I'll check that failing test.

At some moment, I'd grab all the test from the current Squeak release,
and load in Cuis those that make sense here. Of course, the goal is 100%
test coverage. It is just that I'm doing nothing towards it!

> Some more questions:
> - Are you working on Cuis alone?

Yes. But as I take bug fixes from Squeak, in a sense, every Squeak
contributor is a Cuis contributor too.

> - How do you envision working together with your users? Are you
> planning to set up an update server in addition to the images?

If there enough people interested, I hope somebody will volunteer to
help with those things. I don't have much time left...

> - How about contributions? What type of contributions would you like
> to receive? How? Should one e-mail you ChangeSets?

I'd like contributions that help with Cuis objectives, as stated in
"About". If you need to spend a significant amount of time on some
contribution, please write to me first. I am a bit picky with code
(that's what drives Cuis after all!), and it would be too bad if I
reject your code wasting your time. BTW, Cuis is under the MIT license.
Any contribution needs to be under MIT too. Email with ChangeSets is ok.

> - Can you share any plans regarding an improved Morphic? A small set
> of great-looking widgets for portable client applications could be a
> USP for you distribution, in my opinion.

I'm working on what I call Morphic 3. You can read about it at
http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/TheFutureOfTheGUI_01.html (a bit
outdated. I'd write more about it). Morphic 3 is experimental, and still
far from the widgets you say.

Cuis includes a widget set named rooted at class LightWidget. It is
aimed at embedded systems. Not great looking, but simple and efficient.

I believe there is still room for another set of widgets, modern
looking, for client applications. I'd like to help in such a project if
you or anybody else wants to do it. But I can't do it myself, for lack
of time.

> Now all I need is a project, I could use Cuis for, and some time. ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> Bernhard

:)

Cheers,