[squeak-dev] Monticello design question

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Apr 16 04:59:13 UTC 2009

Hi -

I'm trying to make some modifications to Monticello and ran into an
interesting issue: It appears that MC treats all definitions as a flat
list and not structured in any way. E.g., MCMethodDefinitions are not
contained inside the MCClassDefinitions that they apply to. Why is this?

It seems to me that a bit more structure in MC could greatly help for a
variety of issues: From being able to provide a class definition with
extension methods (and consequently being able to load packages into
images that don't even have the classes originally being extended) over
various simplifications and speed improvements in dependency management
(e.g., the dependency sorter doesn't need to sort definitions that are
contained inside other definitions since the dependency is implicit).

However, it feels like this may have been a conscious decision and I am
wondering what the advantage is to treat all definitions as a flat list
instead of using the existing dependencies like class/method
hierarchies. I am very seriously considering to change this and would
like to know more about the potential impact of such a change.

Thanks for any info,
   - Andreas