[squeak-dev] Re: Pharo:: Re: Cuis update

Bèrto ëd Sèra berto.d.sera at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 11:06:38 UTC 2009

2009/4/16 Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>

> Bčrto ėd Sčra wrote:
>
>> Yes. This thing is *extremely* annoying. You can cut and paste any string
>> to anything, but you cannot do it in squeak.
>>

> Really? I don't recall seeing a bug report from you. What platform are you
> on? What problems did you have? You really should report such problems when
> you have them - how do you expect us to fix problems that we don't know
> about?
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas
>

> LOL Andreas... 99,999% of first-time users will NEVER fill a bug. They will
go out and say "It's pure bullshit". :))))) Come on... we all do it ten
times a day.

As per myself... I discussed this thing on IRC a number of times, wrote
about it here because under Win even directory paths prevent Squeak from
working and all I got was the usual kind of thing you get from unstable Open
Source stuff: not much really, but at least it didn't cost me a penny.

No probs, I switched OS and images until I found a configuration that works
for what I need, but while I can use Squeak for development I surely don't
plan to distribute it. It is self-evident that the community is currently
too small to make a stable distro. I admire you all for what you are doing,
and I will contribute as much as I can, but customers want things that do
not break.

Google around a bit in languages that don't use Latin and see what people
says of squeak... this surely doesn't help in getting the critical mass
squeak needs. Nobody's personal fault, sure. Yet the problem remains and
it's a tough one.

Berto

PS: this is one mail I found
==========================
Hi Bčrto -

This looks like a bug in the UTF-8 conversion that the VM does. I'll check
it. As a workaround, you can try an earlier VM to see if this helps.

Cheers,
 - Andreas

Bčrto ėd Sčra wrote:
 Hi all,

I have a weird thing happening. I downloaded the latest squeak and when it
opens it immediately delivers this error. Okay, so I open and close the
emergency evaluator then I can work. But as soon as I try to save an updated
image... here we go again. So no saving, which is obviously bad.

Running on
XP pro 2002 version, SP2 (russian edition)
Squeak 3.10.2

It looks like the problem is connected to my filesystem strings.
In secureUserDirectory
dir := self primSecureUserDirectory.

generates a string in the form path+username which results in trouble:
'C:\Program Files\Squeak\Įżšņó'. My username on the system is in cyrillic,
and this really looks like it.

Then in convertFromWithConverter (ByteString) the exception is raised.

I've been googling a bit about this, but I cannot seem to find much. Any
hint at what we should do? It does look like a problem that is going to
occur over and over again, and since the app I'm about to write deals with
languages and thousands of different scripts... This is a bit worrying.

Let me know.
Bčrto