[squeak-dev] Pasting unicode (was Re: Pharo:: Re: Cuis update)

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Thu Apr 16 13:09:44 UTC 2009

Markus Gaelli wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> Am 16.04.2009 um 13:38 schrieb Bèrto ëd Sèra:
>
>> CUIS is a wonderful distro, but today I had to inline a string of
>> credits for a guy who has an Irish name, and in order to do it I'll
>> have to make a chinese dance, because I cannot cut and paste his name
>> into a string. Now go and explain to a paying customer that you are
>> two weeks late because you cannot cut and paste a name... When Igor
>> said this is just a toy I could only agree. Because this is what
>> people who try to sell Squeak are condemned to hear over and over
>> again, as long as these basic problems do not get solved.
>>
>> Once again, this does not mean that someone is lazy or stupid or an
>> "enemy of the people". It means that *maybe* there could be a way to
>> share the load of work you all do in a way that makes a better result
>> with less effort. I underline it, I said *maybe* and I'm not able to
>> suggest a remedy here and now. But surely talking about it in
>> explicit terms can help to find such a remedy, if any exists.
>
> +1
>
> Actually this "chinese dance" also caused me to stay away from Cuis,
> which I really liked in general. Especially the speed.
> Please do consider to have unicode as not optional.
>
> Side remark: I tried Pharo as well for reading in some data with
> unicode but it also coughed on Umlauts -- so I found myself to use the
> squeakland distro again, which for me actually works best --  as soon
> as I have changed it from kids-mode to developer-mode. Oh well...
>
> Cheers
>
> Markus
All I can say is to repeat myself:

"I hope all this works as an argument for considering Unicode optional
in Cuis. Or does anybody expect that besides doing 5 years of cleaning
towards a simpler and faster image, I also need to address all these
issues myself?

The whole idea of optional packages is to draw a boundary between the
kernel and each of them, to allow different people to focus on different
problems. "

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich