[squeak-dev] Pasting unicode (was Re: Pharo:: Re: Cuis update)

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Thu Apr 16 13:20:21 UTC 2009

Bèrto ëd Sèra wrote:
> Hi Juan!
> ... (big snip)
>
> CUIS is a wonderful distro, but today I had to inline a string of
> credits for a guy who has an Irish name, and in order to do it I'll
> have to make a chinese dance, because I cannot cut and paste his name
> into a string. Now go and explain to a paying customer that you are
> two weeks late because you cannot cut and paste a name... When Igor
> said this is just a toy I could only agree. Because this is what
> people who try to sell Squeak are condemned to hear over and over
> again, as long as these basic problems do not get solved.
>
> Once again, this does not mean that someone is lazy or stupid or an
> "enemy of the people". It means that *maybe* there could be a way to
> share the load of work you all do in a way that makes a better result
> with less effort. I underline it, I said *maybe* and I'm not able to
> suggest a remedy here and now. But surely talking about it in explicit
> terms can help to find such a remedy, if any exists.
>
> Berto

So it seems there are problems using Unicode on all Squeak
distributions. What is needed is a group of people who care enough about
the problem to fix it. I'm sure that code could be shared by various
distributions. But somebody needs to do it. So, please, people worried
about Unicode. Stand up, and volunteer. Make a team. Understand and fix
the problem.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich