[squeak-dev] Re: Pasting unicode (was Re: Pharo:: Re: Cuis update)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Apr 16 16:25:24 UTC 2009

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Err, we know quite well about these problems. Typing unicode chars don't
> work because the utf32 charcode is not used by the released image. To
> paste unicode text on the Mac you would need the image support for the
> extendend clipboard plugin. But even if typing or pasting works, the
> fonts only cover the latin-1 range, not full unicode. Neither Freetype
> nor HostFonts nor Pango support is in the released image, nor did we
> standardize on one.
>
> All of these issues have been solved already, but did not make it into a
> release afaik.

Interesting. Goes to show that I haven't been paying much attention. But
if the fixes are there (can you send some pointers?) it sounds like a
perfect candidate to assemble those into 3.11 and get this stuff
straight. For fonts, there is Dejavu (http://dejavu-fonts.org/) which is
based on the Bitstream Vera family and should make for a virtually
identical replacement.

Cheers,
   - Andreas