[squeak-dev] Pasting unicode (was Re: Pharo:: Re: Cuis update)

Bèrto ëd Sèra berto.d.sera at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 10:51:24 UTC 2009

Hi Janko!

> I'm not quite sure that you can make Unicode support optional, that is,
> loadable as a separate package. Unicode is roughly made of two things:

There is also another issue: complexity. Loadable things are often far to be
straightforward as it may seem: you often end up in having mutually
excluding loadable packages. OTOH a multi-byte string is less performing
than a single-byte string and many users who live in the ASCII side of the
planet may not be willing to pay the performance fee.

But... this is SmallTalk, isn't it? Why can't we load the unicode thing
everywhere and use polymorphism so that if I load ASCII data it performs as
ASCII data? It sounds more like SmallTalk to me. And a thing that is
everywhere is usually much better debugged.

Berto