[squeak-dev] Re: Pasting unicode (was Re: Pharo:: Re: Cuis update)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Apr 17 20:29:52 UTC 2009

Juan Vuletich wrote:
> Is there some Windows VM parameter to get 8 bit clipboard data?

Starting with the 3.10 series the Windows VMs use UTF-8 exclusively and
consistently in its entire interface. All strings passed into or out of
the Windows VM use UTF-8. This is true for clipboard as well as files,
directories  etc.

> But on Windows I get 2 bytes, 195 and 161, and these non-unicode images
> get confused.

If you want to use non-ascii characters you will need an encoder and a
decoder for the range of characters your image supports. You can start
from here:

   http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7314

This has a *very* fast conversion to and from UTF-8 encoded
representations for strings and the only thing you need to change is to
restrict the incoming unicode value in utf8ToSqueak to whatever range of
characters you support.

Cheers,
   - Andreas