[squeak-dev] Re: [Vm-dev] Re: Pasting unicode (was Re: Pharo:: Re: Cuis update)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Apr 18 19:38:28 UTC 2009

Although this allows you to deal with UTF8 characters I was hoping
that we could migrate to the extended clipboard logic that was
proposed by

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2006-April/000584.html

We successfully used that in Sophie to pull utf-8, utf-16, macroman,
and various forms of picture data, plus Finder aliases when you do cmd-
copy on a file in the Finder,
at best this is a patch towards that goal, and if it requires a new VM
and image changes, why not provide all the existing functionality so
people can copy/paste images?

Also some applications just didn't provide kUTTypeUTF8PlainText so the
logic would review the available types on the clipboard and choose the
one with the best options, although Microsoft office was a hassle
because it would place both text in 50 formats AND a TIFF of the PAGE
on the clipboard so we had to somewhat guess does the
client want a TIFF from Word, or text from Word, because if you copied
an image in Word, it would also place a text description of the
graphic object on the clipboard.

--
=
=