[squeak-dev] Linux package maintainers need help

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 20 04:49:56 UTC 2009

On April 16, 2009, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 16.04.2009, at 07:21, Milan Zimmermann wrote:
> > On April 15, 2009, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> > <<snip>>
> >
> > > Maybe having a mailing list specifically for maintainers would be
> > > useful?
> >
> > Yes! We could suggest to Tim we create squeak-etoys-maintainers list
> > at squeakland (or maybe it belongs to squeak)?, and advertise it's
> > existence on the main distros.
>
> It should be a squeak.org list - the VM is not Etoys-specific. How
> does packagers at squeak.org sound?

Very good.

A note, would that be more like packagers at lists.squeakfoundation.org ? They
"dig" to the same IP, so maybe it's irrelevant.

> > We can offer to the subscribed maintainers that:
> > - it would be reasonably low volume
> > - the squeak and etoys community would report distro-specific problems
> > - the squeak and etoys community would monitor it for questions and
> > try to help
>
> Not quite. IMHO this should not be a list for users to report bugs. It
> would be a list specifically for maintainers to discuss packaging
> issues, to alert packagers of new releases, and to provide a help
> forum for them. But it should be driven by the needs of maintainers,
> not as a general complaint sink.

Yes, I agree with your points. Also the drive would be help towards packaging
VM, not images, at least initially.

> The volume then would be in control
> of the maintainers, and indeed be expected to be rather low.
>
> > So I think we should first create the list ,come up with a standard
> > (nothing too complicated) email that we send to the main distros
> > lists.
>
> Sounds reasonable.

If it helps and there are no objections, I can ask Ken(?) to setup the mailing
list, subscribe to it and post here a suggested email to the main distros by
next weekend end (out of time). I am interested there is Squeak and later
Etoys in Linux distros and will help; having said that, I know very little
about building the Squeak VM, and it would not be fair to send that email to
main distros without having at least one or two people who can actually
provide educated help subscribed. So I am really talking out of my league
here...

Milan