[squeak-dev] Re: Ubuntu package maintainers help

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Tue Apr 21 14:45:28 UTC 2009

I just installed the package and typed "squeak", and it didn't work.

I then looked at the script to see what it is trying to do, and it
really is missing a lot compared to the script in the standard
packages: it has no -l, it hardcodes the VM options to use, and it
appears to have no support for actually installing an image locally.
The latter means it is not really compatible with the image packages
from the standard distro; it's not really very Linuxy to run Squeak as
root and have all users share the same image file in /usr/share/squeak.

The VM itself looks pretty similar.  Is there any difference other
than that yours disables the MPEG plugin?

I see that you added mime-type support; that's cool.  However, I don't
see any desktop menu support.

Overall, your packages really are significantly behind.  Can you
please explain why you have raced to upload from-scratch packages when
there is already a mature effort?  You have not yet given any reason,
and seem to be saying that whoever uploads first, wins.  That's not
good for our users.

Really, there's a much better way to do all this.  Drop your packages
and join Matej's and my effort.  I can't speak for him, but I'd for
one be delighted to have a co-maintainer.  You have good ideas, but
you're hampered by starting from so far behind.  What say you?

Lex